1. What is your SCA name? (You don't have to write the full name, just your first name if you want.) - Belphoebe de Givet
2. What is your home kingdom? - Atlantia
3. Have you ever lived in another kingdom? If so, where? - I have lived in various and sundry places, but I was not in the SCA then. Since I joined the SCA, it's been only Atlantia.
4. Do you remember your first SCA event? When/what was it? - My first event was Night on the Town, in Lochmere. I believe it was 1998 or something like that. It was a lot of fun, and it featured the infamous ship with the changing license plates and the inflatable sheep. My kids were also with me and had a lot of fun since people were allowed to throw tennis balls at the fighters. Also, ballistabob was there and he sat with us at feast. We were not dating then, but we had a very good time.
5. Do you have any awards? (You don't have to list them if you don't want) - Yup.
6. Do you list them after your name in communications like e-mail? - Nope, unless it is a very formal communication. Otherwise, "Bel" is all you're going to get.
7. Do you have a device? - As Baroness, my heraldry is currently that of the Barony of Ponte Alto, which is gold and black and has a bridge on it and it's way cool. I also have my personal device which is Or, two rapiers in saltire sable overall a rose proper, a chief sable. (In other words, a gold background, with two crossed black rapiers pointing up, a red rose on top of that, and a black bar to top it all.)
8. Do you use it? On what? - I use the Baronial heraldry on just about everything. As for my personal one, I have a nifty banner that I will use again when I step down as Baroness.
9. Are you on all the kingdom/society lists available to you, or do you avoid them? - I belong to all those lists that I consider pertinent to what I am doing. I don't seek out more than I really need, but somehow they keep sneaking up on me.
10. Do you keep your Pennsic/Estrella/Gulf Wars/etc. site tokens? - Not really.
11. Do you keep the favours you've been given by royalty/friends/SOs, etc.? Do You wear them all? - Not really. I keep as much as I can, until I go into a cleaning frenzy and then I decide what stays and what goes. I do wear everything that my sweetie pie gives to me, though. :-)
12. Do you call your friends by their SCA names even when you're not at an event? - If I met them at the SCA, yes. A name is a name, and I find it hard to switch from one thing to another. If I met them mundanely, then I find it easier to swap to mundane names.
13. Do you go out to dinner in garb after an event? - Yup. I am too lazy to change at an event.
14. Do you have all kinds of garb, or do you generally stick to one period? - I do. However, in recent years I have been sticking to 16th Century France and Italy, emphasis made on France. I also do the occassional 15th Century Florentine, just because it's cool.
15. How many interests do you have within the SCA? What's your favourite? - Goodness, I have lots: Costuming, embroidery, rapier, music, siege engines, you name it. I think that my main interest is wreaking havoc.
16. Do you have an SCA-oriented web site (to show off projects, keep dress diaries, etc.)? - Oh, yes. Une Robe Magnifique. I try to update it as often as I can.
And of course, there is the ole House Fallen From Grace webpage, of which I am the webmaster as well.
17. Do you maintain a hairstyle that is more period style than modern? How about any other part of your appearance? - Depends. When I am at an SCA event, I try to make my hairstyle as period as possible. On mundane settings, however, I strive to make it as contemporary as I can. Same goes with my makeup.
Did you know that the easiest way to guess a woman's age is through her makeup? Yup, we get used to the style of makeup (and hairstyle!) that was fashionable when we were growing up. Want to fool people? Talk to your stylist and change both. Drives everyone crazy.
(Did I mention that wreaking havoc is my main hobby? That goes for mundane activities as well.)
18. Do you tell "No $###, there I was" stories? (Admit it.) Of course I do! Particularly those involving the infamous sheep incident. Oh, and the one about freaking out Santa Claus. Oh! Wait! And then there is the one involving the ballista, a hard hat, and a piece of chocolate . . .
Oh, well. This is not the story you are looking for. Move along.
19. Authenticity is Fun. Yes or no? Why? - Authenticity is loads of fun. I just love it when I see people that look like they are walking out of a painting or an illuminated manuscript, or when there is an atmosphere that makes you feel that you stepped into another era. Plus, finding out how things were made, what people wore, what they ate, how they lived, it's a little bit like becoming Sherlock Holmes. I love doing that kind of detective work. That's the whole point for me, anyway.
20. Is there one modern thing at events that really bugs you? - People who have been playing for years and years and who are still not really making an effort. Newcomers are fine. They are newcomers and they are just getting into it. But the person who has been playing for 10 years has no excuse.
Another (smaller) pet peeve is the keeping modern of eyeglasses for pictures. Please understand, I am not against modern eyeglasses or eyeglasses of any kind. As someone who has suffered from bad eyesight since very young (thank God for Lasik!), I am all for keeping the glasses since you need them to see, and I understand that not everyone can wear contacts or afford Lasik. But removing the glasses would make the person look really awesome in a picture.
Bonus Question! 21. Everyone has a shameful garb/accessory mistake hidden somewhere in their past. What's yours? (We're all friends here, we promise not to laugh. Much.) - Er . . . my first cotehardie had a zipper?