This year we have an interesting mix of characters, and it promises to be quite the entertaining season. I can't wait!
At any rate, here is my take on this year's crop of mirrorball tropy hopefuls:
As you may notice, the list is not in the order they danced, but in ascending order by points. Not exactly a spoiler, but it made sense to me.
1. The Situation and Karina Smirnoff: I surprised myself by finding The Situation bizarrely endearing. He only had 5 days to practice, which is about two weeks less than anyone else. Based on that, he could not do very well, but the boy looked better on the dance floor than, say, Michael Bolton. I threw a vote his way so I could see him back. We'll see.
2. Margaret Cho and Louis Van Amstel: What were they smoking? I imagine that this was an attempt at comedy dancing a-lá Niecy Nash. As comedy goes, it didn't work very well. As a trainwreck, it was hysterically funny even if all of us were laughing at all the wrong moments ... El Ballistabob says that they'll be gone tonight. I say that people love a good trainwreck, so they may yet live to dance another day. We shall see which one of us is right. (I suspect that he'll expect a massage and breakfast in bed if his prediction comes true. So is life on the fastrack...)
3. David Hasselhoff and Kym Johnson: I love me some Hoff. The man was worse than, say, Michael Bolton. But this is The Hoff. I predict that he'll be back, if he doesn't die from the exertion of his first attempt at ballroom dancing.
4. Michael Bolton and Chelsie Hightower: I suspect that the man died a couple of years ago and somehow he missed the memo. El Ballistabob thinks that he was not worse than Margaret Cho, but I disagree. Ole Michael has become the standard for me to measure suckiness. Plus Margaret was a much more entertaining trainwreck than he was. (I say, if you're gonna suck, suck mightily.)
5. Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas: She surprised me by not sucking as much as I thought she would. She even busted some decent moves here and there. Granted, not many, but she still exceeded my expectations which admittedly were not a lot.
6. Florence Henderson and Corky Ballas: Girl is adorable and curses like a sailor. Plus, who doesn't love Mama Brady? And I can't believe she's 76! I hope I look like that when I reach that age. Besides, she has the Corky Ballas on her side. And who can forget the choreography that he put together for Chloris Leachman? I am still on therapy for that!
7. Kurt Warner and Anna Tre-BUN-skaya: I don't know, man. I love the Anna Trebunskaya, but Kurt is no Emitt Smith. Then again, no one is. He seems to be a very sweet guy, but he seems to be sort of middle of the pack which in Planet Mirrorballus is the kiss of death. You may be able to get away with being the suckiest trainwreck of all as long as you are entertaining, but mediocrity will send you home. Hmmm... what will it be?
8. Audrina Patridge and Tony Dovolani: I actually liked her. She may be one of those dancers that can either surprise everyone by getting better and better, or just stay in there looking pretty for a couple of weeks and go home. She is young, fit, determined, and has a nice smile. Now all she needs to do is grow a personality. I do hope she does. At any rate, she is a huge step up from Kate Gosselin for Papa Bear and he could not be happier to have landed her as his partner. Here's to you Papa Bear. You deserve a break.
9. Rick Fox and Cheryl Burke: He has a million dollar smile, and he moves quite smootly for being such a tall guy. I am not sure that we will see him in the finals, but he will probably charm the audience long enough. Stay tuned.
10. Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer: I had no idea who this kid was until it came clear that he was the token Disney boy. I see in him the potential to be really great or really annoying. At any rate, I was dazzled by his footwork. It reminded me of Emmit Smith's. I kinda like him.
11. Brandy and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Ohhhh, Maksy Pooh! I am so happy to see you back! At any rate, I was quite impressed by Brandy, and she and Maks look very cute together. I feel that he has a good chance to taking the mirrorball trophy. Here's to hope.
12. Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough: One could think that Jennifer is the token ringer, what with her being Ms. Dirty Dancing herself. However, that was decades ago, so doing this today would not be so easy. She looked lovely. And of course, it's hard not to root for her. I am curious on how she's going to do with stuff like Latin dancing, and all that jazz. But she was lovely.
So that's it for now, boys and girls. So who do you think will be the first couple to depart the show? Clicky here and have fun!
Who do you think will be the first couple to go home?
The Situation and Karina Smirnoff
Margaret Cho and Louis Van Amstel
David Hasselhoff and Kym Johnson
Michael Bolton and Chelsie Hightower
Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas
Florence Henderson and Corky Ballas
Kurt Warner and Anna Tre-BUN-skaya
Audrina Patridge and Tony Dovolani
Rick Fox and Cheryl Burke
Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer
Brandy and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough