October 12th, 2008

Death-Neil Gaiman

(no subject)

I had a great time yesterday, spending the afternoon with Missy Anne and the Ravenstreeters, in preparation for 12th Night. Much fitting and consultation was done, and much was accomplished.

Not only that, but I heard the phrase that is music to my ears.

And which phrase is that, you ask?

Well, when a lady, especially a well endowed one, goes into the final fitting of the bodies (corset) that you fit for her, and says: "Oh, my God! This is more comfortable than a bra!" You know you've done a good job.

I also got to draft the earlier 1500's bodies for a French style gown, and I am sooooo looking forward to the fittings on that one. It is a very interesting bodice, and I am very tempted to make one of those gowns in the future.

But first, I need to make my later period French gown in the Valois style.

And here's my frustration. I think I have gotten very good and very fast at fitting people with pretty much any piece that is either 16th Century Western European, or the 15th Century Florentine gowns. Yet, I cannot fit myself the way I like as I cannot be in two places at the same time, namely standing still for the fitting and around me fitting me. So while other people's garments fit to the "T," mine are always a wee bit off. Most people don't notice, but I do.

(alina_s and I spent some time swapping stories of our poor, long-suffering husbands, putting up with us and helping us fit as well as they could.)

But rejoice O heart of mine! Today Marcellus is helping me to make a duct tape double!. I am so excited! If this works, and I've heard it does, I will be able to fit myself like nobody's business. And finally, the Belfebe will have achieved garb happiness!

Even better, my long-suffering husband will no longer be required to fit my corsets, for which he is incredibly grateful.

(Now, taking the corsets off is another story, but I digress . . .)


Last but not least, I have finished drafting Alina's coif, which will feature some really nice embroidery in scarlet silk. I can't wait to start. I have a bit of scarlet silk leftover from another project, but I have decided to wait until the one that I ordered from Halcyon Yarns arrives. There is no point in starting a project when I know that I'll be running out of silk. Risking that the color of the second cone will not match the first, is not worth the impatience. Even if they are supposed to be the same color, dye batches vary and it shows on the finished product.

Man, I am itching to start!

And for your viewing pleasure, here is the mockup of the work I will be doing with it. It's out of one of attack_laurel's patterns, BTW, which is really pretty. This sample is chain stitch, stem stich, back stitch, satin stitch, and on the side a little strapwork that I will be trying in some of the grid. Alina, I hope you like it.