As most of my readers may already know, I had issued a Laurel Challenge regarding the making of a 16th Century embroidery sampler. In the end, I had four takers and I was really stunned at the level of research and workmanship that everyone accomplished. Picking a winner was particularly challenging, as I never saw this challenge as a competition, really. In reality, it was an opportunity for folks to push themselves, and then sit down and get feedback while everyone had a chance to see their work. And pretty much, that's how it worked out.
I had two advanced entries: janinas_nest and wyvern_or. Both wrote very well researched documentation, and their entries were stunning. I took pictures of both, but I failed to take a closeup of wyvern_or's. However, since we are going to meet for the feedback (she could not attend in person), I intend to rectify that mistake.
Here is a link to my photo album for you to see what I am talking about.
This is Janina's entry
And this is Rhonwen's
And this is a link to a closeup of Rhonwen's embroidery, courtesy of Rheabecc. .
I also had two novices, one whose entry was her first one ever (Isabel of Tir-y-Don), and the second one who had only been doing A&S for a year, although she had been playing longer than that (Elaine). They both did a bang-up job for a first time effort in their documentation, and display an amazing skill with the needle.
I took a pic of Isabel's, but I was a bad photographer and got so caught in the conversation with Elaine that I forgot to take a picture of her entry. Luckily, the awesome rheabecc did take a pic so folks can see it.
This is Isabel's entry:
And this is Elaine's (from Rheabecc's album).
There were other really awesome entries, like Team Cheese (Vitha, Marcellus and Arghylle), Rebeka's, tattycat's, and others. I could go on and on.
In the end, we had a wonderful time and went home tired, but happy.
I can't wait for next year's challenge!