Okay, maybe not total, but I had found my farthingale rather dissapointing, particularly when I tried it on and tried sitting down while wearing it. The blasted thing went *sproing* on me, lifting up and showing my legs in all their indecent 16th Century glory.
Last night, I decided to try it on with a gown on top, just for grins. The pink gown of linen pinkness, no less. My idea was to see if I had put enough fabric in that skirt and use that info for a future project, which will indeed feature a farthingale (thanks duchessimone for a wonderful afternoon of French garb geeking!).
So I go and dig out my pink gown, try it on with the farthingale, and guess what? It worked like gangbusters. Moreover, I thought that the thing would not be strong enough to support the skirts, but it so happens that it does. Furthermore, I sat down and realized that although the farthingale does lift up (it goes with the fact that I used Alcega's measurements, and it is a farking wide farthingale), the skirts cover it up rather nicely. And because I used caning, it's sort of flexible so it kind of squishes a bit down, and then it regains its shape as I stand up.
At least I have a working farthingale. Not pretty, but it does the job.
Of course, once you make a farthingale, you need to make more. It's a universal law of physics. So here it is what I have learned for next time:
1. Do not make it out of silk broadcloth. It is okay, but something with more body, like a heavy linen or a bridal weight satin will probably work better.
2. Do try to make it narrower. I already have the large farking farthingale. Something more modest would be nice.
3. Do not use velvet to make the channels. It is pretty, but it is a pain in the ass to work with.
4. Do remember to let your canes dry before attempting to insert them in said channels. Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass.
5. Do remember that a farthingale is meant to be shown here and there. Therefore, make it pretty and colorful instead of just utilitarian.
And that's it for now. Back to my document.
Rules: Post five things you've done that you believe nobody else on your F-list has done. Indulge in remorse if someone calls you out on a listed item.
1. I have joined the Gay Pride Parade in Berlin, Germany, and danced on top of a float car to the tune of ABBA. (I think we made CNN.)
2. I have flown in a Colombian army military chopper.
3. I have sat on the chair of the President of Ecuador (and I have the pictures to prove it.)
4. I have graduated from Law School in Mexico.
5. I have sailed the canals of Cancun in a boat, before Cancun was a resort and there was even a town there. (I also discovered then that barracuda is not only edible but delicious.)