1. How did you meet your hubby?
Actually, at fencing practice. I had emailed him regarding information, as he was the Baronial Rapier Marshal. Belfebe was my email handle, so as soon as I walked in he said "Hello Belfebe!" I thought that he was a very sweet and welcoming guy. And time proved me right. :-)
2. When/how did you come to the US (and from where exactly)?
Well, back in the day it was very easy to obtain a green card. So I have had a green card since I was 6 months old. I am a border town girl from Ciudad Juarez, which is the border town with El Paso, TX. You can say that they are twin cities, as people very often live on one side of the border and work on the other, they intermarry, and you will find the same families all accross both towns.
Basically, we lived on the Mexican side, and I got my education in Mexico (though not in Cd. Juarez as we moved away when I was 16 years old). I moved permanently to the US in 1984.
3. How did you learn to be such a great parent? (role models, books, born w/ it?)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My kids will probably disagree with you, but I guess that goes with the territory. :-)
All I can say is that we are amateurs when we start parenting and I am no exception. It has been very much hit or miss. I have made very big mistakes and learned from them. Also, I have ended up seeking family therapy and I often joke that all I know about parenting I have learned from shrinks. (Well, not *all* of it, but it makes for a great punchline.)
The truth is, by the time we are ready to be parents (which we have learned through parenting), we are probably ready for our grandchildren. I wish thatI knew what I know now 26 years ago. But there's no helping it. ;-)
4. If you could be anyone else for a day, who would you be?
Good gravy! I have enough trouble just being me. LoL
5. OK, an SCA one. Hmmm, if you were forbidden to do Elizabethian, what would you do for garb?
Ahhhh, but I do not do Elizabethan, since Belphoebe is not English. Belphoebe is French, which would probably put me doing Valois. There are many similarities, and some nifty differences. But if the question is that if I were forbidden to do late 16th Century Northern European, I would be looking at early 16th Century Venetian. Have you seen that stuff? Awesome. :-)
The other would probably be 15th Century Florentine, which is nifty, comfy, and there is a lot of information out there. I love it. And of course, anything that involves a gothic fitted dress (14/15th C). Those things are awesome.
1. Describe (or post a photo of ) your current favorite SCA garb. It need not be your fanciest, just your favorite.
This is it, although sadly, I think it will need a lot of altering due to my weight loss. But this ensemble rocks.
2. Have you ever played in any other kingdom besides Atlantia?
Nope. I have always played here.
3. Would you want to be Queen? Why or why not?
That's a very good question. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I think I would love to do it because I am convinced that I could do a good job, and because I may be able to accomplish some things that would benefit the Kingdom. On the other hand, I am currently rather crispy after 4 years of Landed Baronage and I know that my style of Queening (which would be similar to my style of Baroning) would be very intensive and would involve a lot of work, travel and expense and I really need a break. (Which I haven't been getting because I am in the bad habit of raising my hand and volunteering for all sorts of stuff. You can shoot me now.)
(And here, here. I just invented two new words "Queening" and "Baroning." Ohhh noooo!!!!)
4. If you had the time, money, and talent, what one hobby would you like to pursue that you are not currently doing?
Hollywood movie producer.
5. Will you be at Pennsic this year?
1) What led to your passion for rapier
The Three Musketeers. The book, not the movie. I read it and re-read it as a kid, teenager and adult, and decided to give it a try.
2) What period would you study if 16th cent was no longer in the SCA time period
See above. Although I want to do some more research on pre-Columbine Mexico outside the confines of the SCA. :-)
3) If you could not live anywhere on the American continent (north or south) or Europe where would you live?
Hong Kong. Or maybe Australia.
4)If you had to start a new career what would be your dream job
President of the United States.
5) What is your favortie decadent food indulgence ?
Chocolate. Preferably dark. With no fillings (hate fillings). Or Hershey's Almond Milk Chocolate. Or Hagen Dazs Coffee ice cream (I can eat that thing until I get sick.)
1. Where are you originally from?
Mexico (see above) :-)
2. I didn't know until reading your questions that you had cancer? What type?
It was breast cancer. I was very lucky in that they caught it very early. Hence, after a mastectomy, reconstruction and medication, I haven't had any recurrences (knock on wood). Added bonus, I can make my fake boob dance. A nifty trick if you ask me.
3. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
Actually, and after much searching, I have found the right place for me. I love Northern Virginia and the whole DC Metro area.
4. Is there any time period of SCA garb that you have secretly always wanted to try wearing but never have?
Oh, yes. True and true Turkish. I still want to make one of those. Oh, and Norse. Those look so comfy!
5. How did you meet BallistaBob?
At rapier practice of all places. See above under Psalite's question.
And thhhhhat's all folks!
Let me know if I missed anyone's questions!