1. If you were given the task of escorting a new person at their very first event, what would you do to facilitate that?
First of all, let her (or him) know that we are thrilled to have her around. Second, make sure that she has garb so she can feel comfortable and not out of place. I would also make sure to introduce her to as many people as possible and to pay attention to those areas of interest in which she can get involved later on. Oh, and make sure that she has feast gear if we are staying for feast. This is one of the things that we are most likely to forget on a first event. But making her feel welcome is the most important part.
2. If you hadn't found the SCA, how would you be spending your free time?
I would probably have joined some other group. Or maybe you would be seeing me in Project Runway. :-D
3. (Personal, therefore optional) Would you be as focused on your fitness as you are if you had not been through cancer?
No. I had gotten into fitness before I was diagnosed with cancer. However, my being fit made all the difference in the world when it came to recovery.
One thing is for sure, after the cancer, I got even more focused on health. I came to the conclusion that sometimes you cannot avoid getting ill. After all, I was the poster child for not getting cancer, and yet I did. But I decided that if I am going to die, I will go down kicking and screaming, dammit. (And Death and I can go have a beer after the fighting is done.)
But the most important lesson is that sooner or later we are all going to die, and in the meantime I will fight for a good and healthy life while I am still around and kicking. ;-)
4. Who has been your biggest inspiration?
5. What advice would you give to your 20 year old self if you could?
Don't sweat the small stuff. Never compromise your dreams. Don't settle for anything less than what you really want. You don't need a man to get ahead in life. Shortcuts are not for you. The sun will come out tomorrow. Always remember to floss.